Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What "limitele harului" means

The name of my blog talks about grace. “har” is theRomanian word for grace. Limitele Harului, translated literally, means “the limits of grace”.

A more appropriate translation would be “the boundaries of grace”. I am sort of playing with words because, biblically speaking, there are no limits or boundaries to God’s grace even if some people have a tendency to fence it.

Growing up, I often dealt with rules.Even though I was aware of God’s love, I knew Him as a God of “Fire and Brimstone.”

I have since grown to understand that even though I am to reverence God, I should not be terrified of Him. I am so grateful to God for the Grace He showed me through Jesus Christ and the love He continues to shower me with daily.

As a side note, this does not mean that I do not embrace Jesus’ words from John where He says that if we love him we must keep his commandments.

In a nut shell, the nature of my upbringing has helped me become ever so grateful of God’s grace which has no boundaries. I thought this was best expressed in Romanian through the words "limitele harului."

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8).

5 comments:

Suldog said...

Thank you for stopping by at my place, Daniel. The kind words were appreciated. And thanks for the small lesson in Romanian!

Craver Vii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craver Vii said...

(revised on a account of a typo)

Thanks for visiting my blog, Daniel. I'm not sure of the spelling, but: Boona zeewa!!

I think I know what you mean, and surely God's grace is so vast, we cannot completely fully comprehend it. Still, I wouldn't say that it has "no" limits or boundaries though. For example, God's saving grace does not apply to those who live "outside of faith." Those who trust in their own works, and those who do not trust the Lord at all must turn to Christ in order to be saved. I am guessing that what you mean is that there is no one who is so far gone down the path of sinfulness, that Jesus' atonement would not be sufficient for him. The saving arm of the Lord is very long indeed. :-)

Have a most blessed day in the Lord.

Daniel said...

Craver,
Thanks for your comments.

When addressing God's grace I guess i have had to deal with religious people who decide where to draw the line for God's grace.

That is the context I am writing in.

Daniel said...

Suldog,
Thank you for your comments.