Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Me and Religion

I want to start off with what is most important in my life. Let me say that differently. I would like to start with the one thing that I constantly strive to make most important in my life.


My greatest desire is to serve God with all of my heart. I am a Christian, wanting to live my faith in my every day life. But as my wife will be able to tell you I am definitely not perfect. Especially when I don't take out the trash as I had promised.

I want to give every part of my life over to God and be a good example of Faith for my wife and my daughter. I want to be a role model to my family. I want them to be able to follow in my footsteps as I follow in the footsteps of Jesus.

All this said, I see how there are times where my walk with God becomes a religious practice. I get so consumed with my church and the activity there that I forget about what God truly desires.

I do not want to be a religious person that practices certain rules and rituals. I don't want to be a Christian that is always preparing for the next church meeting. I want to go deeper than religion.

I want to go to a place of relationship; a place where I can actually meet with God. I want to have him close and personal.

And often I have to remind myself that the things I am involved in are not themselves that relationship. The fact that I work with young people is not what composes my relationship with God.

Instead, it is because of my relationship with God that I desire to work with young people. I want to share with them the things that God has done in my life and how He wants to be involved in their life as well.

So what is the scoop on me and Religion? I want my religion to be a true dedication to Jesus Christ. I want to love him wholeheartedly and in the process help others do the same.

There are those that try to bring people to rules. I want to point everyone to Jesus Christ. I know that as long as I am pointing people to Him, I will be engaged in something more than empty religion.

1 comment:

The Oho Report said...

Daniel,
Well written. I am on a similar journey attempting to Love the Lord with all my heart. I keep getting in the way of myself.
Otto